Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year and Cybils

To my friends, family, readers, and book ninjas extraordinaire,

Wishing you a year filled with many Snoopy Dances of Joy!


Happy 2008!

I did my first official Snoopy Dance of Joy of 2008 on New Year's morning. My husband and I woke up early to check the Cybils website. (Cybils = Children's and Young Adult Bloggers' Literary Awards. Not to be confused with sybils, who are oracular seeresses from Ancient Greece.) We'd heard that the nominating committees were posting several lists of finalists on the morning of January 1st, including the list for my category, Middle Grade Fantasy and Science Fiction.

My husband admitted later that he'd actually woken up earlier and had been lying in bed thinking, "I want to check. I don't want to check. I want to check. I don't want to check." (He is, in my humble opinion, the Cutest Husband Ever.) After an hour of this, Cute Husband woke me up and brought the laptop into bed. We scrolled through the site together. The YA Fantasy/SF finalists were listed first, and then the Middle Grade Fantasy/SF list...

THE CHAOS KING by Laura Ruby
INTO THE WILD by Sarah Beth Durst

THE LAND OF THE SILVER APPLES by Nancy Farmer
SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT by Derek Landy
THE TRUE MEANING OF SMEKDAY by Adam Rex

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I'm a Cybils finalist!!! And wow, to be listed in such amazing company... I adore all these authors. It's just more than my little brain can handle... I'm thinking about tattooing this logo on my forehead:


On second thought, I think I'll pass on the tattoo. I'm not good around needles. Seriously, I once fainted when my cat got a shot. Worst part was that I knocked the cat off the counter in the process. The cat was fine, but the anecdote became the stuff of family legend, alongside many other embarrassing Sarah-moments. But I digress... This news totally, totally, totally made my day. Heck, it made my year so far! To the Cybils F/SF nominating committee, thank you so so so much.

And to everyone, hope you all had a fantastic New Year's and have a happy, healthy, and magical 2008!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! If that was day one, just think what day two of '08 might be like . .. the possibilities . . .

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Bkbuds said...

What a wonderful, fun post! I lay awake all morning yesterday thinking, "What if the lists don't post? What if TypePad goes down? What if everybody's hungover and no one reads the lists?"

Glad I wasn't the only insomniac ...

Thanks for linking to us.
-Anne
Cybils editor
blog.cybils.com

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations for a well-deserved honor! Definitely pass on the tattoo. Even if you didn't faint I think it's one of those things you'd regret later. Maybe you could just sketch the logo on your forehead while you're testing markers for autographing body parts.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Alex Bledsoe said...

Congratulations! You definitely deserve it. But hey, tats are cool: I got my first one this year, in honor of my book coming out. Alas, it's a drawing of a typewriter, and more than one person has gone, "What is that?" Sigh.

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post! Your book so deserves this honor! Though I agree with Sheila, I'd pass on the tattoo.

Congrats again!

Kim Baccellia

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Congratulations Sarah!! I was SO excited to see your book on the list, too! Woo-hoo!! 'Tis well-deserved.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Survival said...

Congratulations Sarah!!! Your book was very good! :)

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Congratulations, Sarah. That is the cutest post, too. I've put Into the Wild at the top of my reading for Science Fiction/Fantasy: it sounds wonderful, and I'm sure the honor is very well-deserved. Enhorabuena!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Congratulations, Sarah! May 2008 bring you many more Snoopy dances! :-)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Rick, Anne, Sheila, Alex, Kim, Erin, Traci, Anamaria, and Laini: Thanks so much!!! Your lovely comments made day two of 2008 just as nice as day one!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Faith said...

Woot! What great news!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

Oh! I finally got my hands on Into the Wild and stayed up all night reading it! I've been reading this blog for a while and grumbling at my library's slowness to get new books so I had to buy it. So glad I did! It's easily one of the best books I've ever read. Congrats on Cybils, that's wonderful!

Oh the irony that Laini Taylor just posted, I just started Blackbringer this morning.

One last "squee!" and one last "congrats!" and then I'm off!

Okay, maybe one more "squee."

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Faith: Thanks for the woot!

Enna Isilee: Thanks for the super-sweet comment and for the squees! I'm so glad you enjoyed Into the Wild!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

This is so *fun*!

I'm working on a YA fantasy myself so I'm always excited to see new 1st-novel in the genre ;o)

Great congratulations!

What an encouraging reward to be recognized after all your hard work!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Amy Jane: Thanks so much! And best of luck with your writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home